Before we say anything else, how about talking about how awesome it was that the Olympic drummers were lead by a deaf percussionist?! That it was the deaf children’s choir that sang their National Anthem? And that in music dance pieces, I saw people who use wheelchairs also dancing?
In This Post You Will Find:
That’s some pretty rad inclusiveness on display.
Posts this Week:
- This was for the Blog Hop, and it was a hard one to write. It’s really about my claiming the thread and culture of disability for my own life, and accepting Moxie’s diagnosis.
- …and she did! First one ever, by someone other than me. Certificate to prove it, too.
- Back to Baja – going from Tijuana – and how we spent New Year’s Eve.
- She’ll try and get you to slide here. You are duly warned.
** Giveaway winner of No Ordinary Boy was Corbett O’Toole – congratulations, Corbett!
I normally do the photo collage thing for the week – everything I posted on facebook – but I wanted to do something different this week. Here’s my Week in Review video!
Now, did you really watch it?
Okay, thanks! It took forever to upload that thing. I might go back to the collages next week.
I want this – my kids are not d/Deaf but I want them to intrinsically feel pride in who they are, celebrate every aspect of being.
I want them to be on a stage signing in deaf jams, fun bits about being born. I want them to have the confidence and sense of self-pride to be at ease with expression in all of it’s fluid forms.
This has been on my mind in a big way this week as I’ve taken that morsel called “education” and held it, looked at it and really thought about what it means to me now – and how my kids are going to be fitting in with it in the snug bed o’ life.
Teaser for a post coming next week: words I have learned include: “unschooling“, “taking children seriously.”
Other fun stuff:
Bob Ross and his Happy Clouds, on Remix
I LOVE BOB ROSS!! Always did, always will. May you rest in peace, Mr. “Tree Guy”
Mister Rogers and the “Garden of the Mind”, on Remix
I was not a fan of Mister Rogers when I was a kid. I think he creeped me out and he was soooooooooooooooooooo slow that I’d get annoyed. I like him a lot more now that I’m an adult. There still is a part of him that I’m not crazy about – it might be the whole adult-man-working-with-kids thing.
Here’s what I thought to be the coolest meme this week:
And these two were the funniest. Sort of. They also made me groan – they cross that fine line between REALITY and HUMOUR, if you know what I’m saying.
One of my constant goals is to remember to get to the dollar store to buy some disposable eating ware. Catch up on the friggin’ dishes, maybe even glimpse the actual steely surfaces of the sink basin.
Where was I? Oh right. Back to the Week in Review. I always enjoy these posts even if they take a long time to write. But. My Mom has been out of town and will be for a while – NO CHILD CARE FOR ME – the garden needs a ton of work, I have a book to review and lot more work to do, so I’d better cut this now.
Thank you to the sponsors of this post, orlandoescape.com . Orlando, home of Disney World, Sea World and the NASA space center, was a lot of fun when I visited it some years ago. Awfully flat, very hot and also very, very gorgeous – I understood why people flock to Florida.
1. before I sign off completely, tell me: what did you think of the Opening Ceremonies? Did you watch it from Orlando?
2. BabyLegs – they are having too good a sale to not tell you about:
BUY ONE GET THREE FREE
– no, that’s not a typo. Check it out: HERE – and don’t forget your coupon code: B1G3F (but don’t sit on it – when I bought mine yesterday there were not many to choose from – selling fast!)
Have a good one!