Nowadays, there are so many different disability and mobility aids available to help us live a comfortable life. Whether you want to have a soak in the bath or you want to broaden your knowledge by taking one of the online study courses available, it is all about setting your home up in a way that is best suited to you. With that being said, below, we are going to provide an overview of some of the most common and helpful disability aids available today.
Different Types Of Stair Lifts
Stair lifts are installed in more than 25 million households in the United Kingdom. Like many mobility aids, they provide people with the ability to live independently in their own home. If you are looking for a stair lift, read on to discover the different types that are available.
- Seated stair lifts – Let’s begin with the most popular option of them all; seated stair lifts. These stair lifts make it possible for the user to comfortably sit while they get to the top of the stairs. Most of these stair lifts also swivel at the top, which makes it easier for the user to get off. With these stair lifts, you could carry a small walking aid with you, such as a walking stick, but for bigger aids, it is better to keep one upstairs and one downstairs.
- Curved stair lifts – These stair lifts tend to be more expensive than the former, and this is because they have the ability to go round any bends in your staircase, and they can also glide across landings. The vast majority of these stair lifts use rechargeable batteries, and so you will have a charging point at both the bottom and top of the stairs.
- Straight stair lifts – Now, we have probably the cheapest option of them all, a straight stair lift. These lifts can only travel up a straight staircase, and they are not fitted to the wall, rather the stair tread. These stair lifts are powered from the mains.
- Perch stair lifts – Finally, we have perch stair lifts, which are very similar to standing stair lifts. However, for extra comfort, there is support under the buttocks. Most of these stair lifts will come with a seatbelt as well to ensure you are secure.
Now you know about the different types of stair lifts available, however, if you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact a professional supplier and ask them plenty of questions. That’s what they are there for!
A Look At The Different Options That Are Available
Mobility aids can make a huge difference in someone’s life. This is no exaggeration; the sense of freedom these products provide can be truly life-changing. Nevertheless, with so many different disability aids to choose from, it is important to choose the right one for your requirements. We are going to talk you through some of the most common options that are available in this section.
From running errands to getting in and out of the car, there is mobility and disability equipment to assist with all requirements. Wheelchairs are the most obvious option. They give you the ability to do your weekly shopping, take a trip to the post office, or run any other errands you may need to with ease. There are plenty of different options to choose from, including foldable wheelchairs, which are ideal if you are planning on going on a vacation any time soon. Rollers are perfect for those who need assistance but don’t want to give up the freedom of walking altogether. You will have the support you need as well as plenty of space to store any shopping bags and such like. Those with arthritis tend to benefit from this aid.
There are smaller handy mobility aids that can help with other day-to-day tasks. For example, you can buy a handy bar to help you get in and out of a vehicle. This fits into the doorframe of your vehicle, providing you with extra support when attempting to get out. You can also get over chair tables, which are designed to support you while sitting down and getting up, but they also provide you with a place to eat or keep handy items nearby for ultimate convenience. If you are doing any sort of online study course, a chair table is a great disability aid to have, and they don’t cost a lot. Nowadays, you can do any course online. You can even find nurse practitioner online programs, which most people would assume you’d need to do at an educational establishment. This has meant there are more opportunities for people with a disability because they can study from the comfort of their own home and at their own pace. A chair table is a great aid to have in this case.
Disability Aids For The Bathroom
Disability aids are widely available nowadays, with plenty of different options to choose from, including wheelchairs, stair lifts, and more. For a lot of people, the ability to use the bathroom independently and safely is vital for their own dignity. Luckily, there are plenty of mobility aids for sale to ensure that this is something you never need to worry about. Read on to discover more about the options that are available.
- Bath lift – A bath lift is ideal for anyone that struggles to get in and out of the bath. Once you notice that this becomes a challenge, you should seriously consider investing in a bath lift, as you could suffer a serious accident if you slip. Instead, with a bath lift, you simply sit on the seat, which will then lower and recline into the bathtub. Users are able to select their preferred angle of recline to ensure ultimate comfort.
- Grab rail – Another type of disability equipment for those who struggle to get in and out of the bath is a grab rail. Grab rails can actually be positioned all around the house to help you when you need to get up. You can also place them near the shower to ensure you do not slip while getting inside.
- Half toilet surround – This is another type of grab rail, yet it has been designed to help individuals when going to the toilet. These rails will be secured to the floor, and it ensures that you have extra support when standing up or sitting down.
- Shower seat or stool – Last but not least, another one of the best types of disability aids for the bathroom is a shower stool or seat. You can get seats that are fixed to the wall or you can purchase stools that fit neatly into your shower cubicle. The seat will be completely waterproof and made from anti-rust materials.
To conclude, there are so many different disability aids that are available today. This blog post has merely scratched the surface of the options that you have at your disposal. If you want to make your home more comfortable, you should definitely spend some time looking at the different options that are available. There is something for every task or activity, making your life a lot easier.