Disability Community on Facebook
Disability community is crucial and is a powerful way for those of us with disabilities to make friendships from within our own respective disability communities and cross-disability.
It’s a way to find solutions to problems that are disability-specific, receive support and a laugh (or three) at memes that only those who have our same disability truly “get.”
In a world that is often difficult for us to navigate and a world that has many of us internalizing our own ableism, Facebook disability groups can feel like islands of safety and solace.
And in those islands of safety and solace are spaces to learn and unlearn, opportunities to challenge ourselves to grow and connect in new and exciting ways.
Disability groups below have direct links the groups. Most are private, some are secret and a few are public. Please check the group settings before you get too comfortable in them! Remember that what you say in a public group can be seen across the board, for anyone (- including your employer) to see!
Here they are. I hope you find what you are looking for.
In This Post You Will Find:
- Cross Disability Groups
- Cross-Disability Interest-Specific Groups
- Mental Health Groups on Facebook
- Facebook Groups on the Autism Spectrum
- Groups for Parents of People with Disabilities
- Down Syndrome Related Groups on Facebook
- IEP Groups on Facebook
- Crohn’s Disease & Ulcerative Colitis Groups
- Facebook Groups Related to Chronic Illnesses
Cross Disability Groups
- Crip Camp (for people with disabilities) – All disabilities, emerged from the documentary, Crip Camp
- Disability Wisdom – emphasis on blind issues, but all disabilities welcome and all disability perspectives and issues welcome –
- Ask Disabled Folk – For Disabled Folk – a space to ask practical questions related to disability –
- Disability Power for Community Integration:totally and exactly what it sounds like
- Gimp Girl Community – All disabilities, for people identifying as female
- Teaching & Learning Critical Disability Studies: a place to discuss disability studies
Cross-Disability Interest-Specific Groups
- Disabled Parenting Project: cross disability, for parents with disabilities (NOT non-disabled parents of kids with disabilities!)
- Disabled Gamers, Geeks & Nerds – cross disability, focus is on gaming 🙂
- Lit League Disability Book & Movie Club – cross disability, on books and movies with disability intersections
- Federation of Disabled Bloggers – cross disability group focusing on bloggers/writers with disabilities
Mental Health Groups on Facebook
d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing Facebook Groups
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing – https://www.facebook.com/groups/deafhohgroup/
- Community for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/deafandhoh/
- Deaf Equality and Accessibility Forum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/deafthinktank/
- Deaf World – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1378241955785335/
- Deaf World Love – https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeafWorldLove/
- Deaf Friend’s World – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428438677267300/
Facebook Groups on the Autism Spectrum
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network – https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukselfadvocacynetwork12/
- Asperger’s Life Support – https://www.facebook.com/groups/AspergersLifeSupport/
- ADHD Support – https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyADHD/
- Asperger’s Support for Women – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1843494415898146/
- Asperger Syndrome Awareness – https://www.facebook.com/groups/AspergerSyndromeAwareness/
- Autism Inclusivity – https://www.facebook.com/groups/autisminclusivity/
- Actually Autistic Adults and Allies – https://www.facebook.com/groups/AAAandA/
Groups for Parents of People with Disabilities
- Parents of People with POTS: https://www.facebook.com/groups/354719604583139/
- Crip Camp Allies (for allies of the disability community) https://www.facebook.com/groups/cripcamp2020.allies
- Parents of People with Autism: https://www.facebook.com/groups/637450279762302/
- ADHD, Asperger’s and Autism Support Network for Families: https://www.facebook.com/groups/66871499264/
- Autistic Allies: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AutisticAllies/
- Ask Autistic Adults: Resource for Parents of Autistics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2138776736451241/
- Autism Support Parent Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/561793547980379/
- Parents of Bi-Polar Children: https://www.facebook.com/groups/276692175692925/
Down Syndrome Related Groups on Facebook
A complete post with all the groups linked:
IEP Groups on Facebook
- IEP Support – A Day in Our Shoes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ADayInOurShoes/
- IEP/504 Assistance: https://www.facebook.com/groups/iep504assistance/
- IDEA & IEP Tips – Parents to Parents for Children with Disabilities: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IDEATIPS
- Homeschool IEP, 504 – 4 Special Needs, Autism, ADHD: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HomeschoolIEP/
- IEP Parent Advocates – https://www.facebook.com/groups/253640718070/
Crohn’s Disease & Ulcerative Colitis Groups
Facebook Groups Related to Chronic Illnesses
Safety in Facebook Groups
3 Things to Remember When Engaging in a Facebook Group!
- Privacy settings
While enjoying a group, it’s always a good idea to triple-check the group privacy settings.
If a group is public, it means that everything you post can be seen by all of your friends and all of the world.
2. Remember that people can take screenshots of what you post
Not to to get paranoid about what you post, but it’s a good idea to keep that kernel of truth in the back of your head.
People take screenshots. In some groups they ask that you not, or have members promise to not take screenshots, but promises can be broken. Think before you post!
3. All the Common Sense Stuff
- Be careful with who you message or become friends with from groups.
- Report things that look suspicious.
- Be wary of anything that involves money.
MORE on Safety: linked here.
Meriah Nichols is a career counselor. Solo mom to 3 (one with Down syndrome, one gifted 2E). Deaf, with C-PTSD and TBI, she’s also a gardening nerd who loves cats, Star Trek, and takes her coffee hot and black.