There was a big ole comment/post/flurry storm over that last post, On the Pedestal. It’s pretty clear that some of my words have (intentionally or not) been twisted, and some other things are just misunderstandings. And others – well, others are just products of my crass, inarticulate, shoot-from-the-hip and raised abroad self.
So, for the record:
1. I am not for promoting stereotypes: I am for talking about commonalities.
2. I do not believe that all kids with Down syndrome are happy! Or bolt! Or whatever! But I do believe there are some consistencies to how the extra 21st chromosome expresses itself in people who have Down syndrome. And I would like to talk about these things. That is all.
3. I am quite sure I flubbed in describing things in my post – I was definitely not prepared to have it dissected by a lawyer! I was simply trying to get to the core of what I’m feeling and thinking and was struggling to articulate it. This is not something we talk about often in the Down syndrome community (hmmm… now I wonder why…?)
4. I am a friendly person. I like people. I am happy by nature. I get along with most people in real life. I laugh easily. I make fun of myself and don’t take things too seriously. I do not have a bone to pick, a fight to throw or whatever.
5. I like bacon.
6. A lot.
7. Can we get over this? Just is just kind of ridiculous. I’m driving off to South America with my family next month.
8. My kids are watching ‘Daniel Tiger’ now which sort of makes me feel like a horrible mother and sort of makes me want to take life notes. Maybe we all should.
9. Here, a couple of old posts – really old! – that get a little into diversity appreciation and stuff:
And here is my whole Down syndrome category – which is supposed to have a flow through of every post I’ve ever written about Ds. It ought to be pretty clear that I’m not dying to shove my child and her tribe into some box and close the lid on her. Mmmm’kay? I’m simply yearning to better understand her, striving to learn all that I can, and wanting to keep her safe.
I’m going to go and fry some bacon. If you hurry over, you can have some.
your bacon loving friend,