It was nuts, but there is nothing like opening the fridge door and seeing this:
Salad in a Jar
And an arsenal of healthy food that visually assaults.
It’s Motivational. (“Motivation Monday”, as opposed to “Transformation Tuesday” – that’s cuz “Motivation Monday” is becoming a *thing* and ever since I learned the Marcarena approximately 5 years after everyone else, I love the idea of being with a thing at the time the thing is happening. The end.)
Being motivational, I thought I’d tell you about the best thing of the bunch that I prepped*.
Salad in a Jar
It’s another macarena moment, for sure. Everyone else has been doing Salad in a jar for probably most of my lifetime, but I only *just* heard of it. WHERE HAVE I BEEN?! This stuff is amazeballs. You gotta try it if you haven’t already.
It goes like this:
This is the thing: THE LETTUCE STAYS FRESH. The key to keeping it fresh is making sure that the dressing and the lettuce are on opposite ends of the jar and well buffered by the filling stuff.
A few things:
- The holy grail of Salad in a Jar: dressing at the bottom and greens at the top, preferably with buffers of other things in between. Keep them as far away from each other as possible.
- Add grains/protein (or a mix of both) in the buffer area – it makes the salad really filling and allows you the chance to lively it all up, big time. Think, chicken, beans, quinoa, etc.
- Pack ’em tight: don’t allow wiggle room for the sections to move around
- For the 21 Day Fix, just measure out the components in your salad using the colored boxes! So. Easy.
I used pint-sized mason jars – perfect size – and I dumped it out into a bowl, mixed and ate. It was absolutely delicious.
I also made LARGE sized “Salad in a Tub” for the family, because I wanted to be able to have one healthy item for dinner each night pre-made so it would motivate me to carry it forward. Totally worked – we ate better last week than we have in a long time and it felt great. More motivation for keeping it up!
* The other great thing was the Overnight Oats, and cutting up veggies for snacking.
Hang out with me on Pinterest for more Salad-in-a-Jar ideas and motivation for this
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.
ModCloth‘s fabulously fun and unique online fashion shop is headed to the heart of San Francisco from July 30th-August 17th! Explore their colorful collection of dresses, tops, cardis, and more in person, try on exclusive styles, and get sizing and fit help from their terrific team. Drop by and browse their Union Square location, or book a free appointment to skip the lines, guarantee a fitting room, and shop with 1-on-1 assistance from their friendly staff (hurry, spots are limited). ModCloth can’t wait to meet you!
To book an appointment, visit: http://www.modcloth.com/
Meriah Nichols is a career counselor. Solo mom to 3 (one with Down syndrome, one gifted 2E). Deaf, with C-PTSD and TBI, she’s also a gardening nerd who loves cats, Star Trek, and takes her coffee hot and black.