Sara Weir is the President of the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS), which is the organization that spearheads and financially benefits from the Buddy Walks ®™ . NDSS claims to be the “leading human rights organization for all individuals with Down syndrome,” and yet in the face of the loss of Medicaid, they have been, for all intents and purposes, silent.
Silent, when the NDSS has promised to be at every table and stand up and fiercely advocate for people with Down syndrome and disabilities.
Silent, when The NDSS actually have the connections to affect powerful change right here, right now.
A Little Background on Medicaid:
- Medicaid is the federal partnership that provides states with money to help pay for healthcare AND programs that help people across the disability spectrum.
- A lot of the program funding has something to do with things the Down syndrome community deeply cares about: keeping our kids and their tribe out of institutions. Helping them work. Helping them be productive and integral members of our communities.
- If these cuts happen, our kids are likely to be stuck at home, without work supports. Without health care. Without help to reach their goals and dreams.
A Little Background on Sara Weir & NDSS
- The NDSS is The National Down Syndrome Society – they raise large amounts of money through their very popular Buddy Walks ®™ across the United States.
- That money is supposed to be used to fund the NDSS to help us when we need it.
- The NDSS has LOTS of Republican connections – in fact, Sara Weir, the President of NDSS, has a personal membership to the Capitol Hill Club, the exclusive Republican social club, in which she has frequent meetings on behalf of the NDSS.
- A strong stance against Medicaid cuts and caps, a strong stance against the new healthcare bill, signed by both Sara Weir and Robert Taishoff (the Chairman of NDSS), leading the public call against these cuts will be powerful.
So far, Sara Weir has not added her own name to any public statement on Medicaid made by the NDSS, nor has Robert Taishoff.
My fellow people with disabilities are placing their bodies literally on the line against these cuts; parents of people with Down syndrome making videos that are going viral about what these Medicaid cuts are going to do to their families. We have columns and articles being written, we have parents, allies, advocates fighting tooth and nail against these proposed cuts that will be so devastating for people with disabilities in the United States of America.
But we are without direct connections to Mitch McConnell’s office or other power-players that Sara Weir, Rob Taishoff and the NDSS have. And the NDSS are not utilizing those connections or speaking up about it now.
In times of crisis, we look for who is MOST able to help in the fight.
Please. Join me in asking – no, demanding – that Sara Weir and the NDSS step up to take a strong stance against this devastating proposed piece of “healthcare” that will affect us all so drastically.
Join me in demanding that Sara Weir walk her talk about being at the table and “storming” the hill in defense of people with disabilities.
Join me in holding her accountable to do what we are paying her to do: we are paying her to help our kids and community stay safe, healthy and able to participate, through Medicaid and the continued Medicaid funding.
Join me in urging Sara Weir to use her intimate connections with Republicans to halt this devastating proposed bill.
Her email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have posted all correspondence between Sara and myself HERE, along with form letter that she has sent to many blog readers when they write to her about these issues.
NDSS Board Members and emails that I have:
Rob Taishoff – email@example.com
Gordon Spoor- firstname.lastname@example.org
Tiffany Barfield- email@example.com
Ben Wright – firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Allyn- email@example.com
Chris Brooks –
Paul Brunswick- firstname.lastname@example.org
Janet Eissenstat- email@example.com
Steve Freeman- firstname.lastname@example.org
Chip Gerhardt – email@example.com
Rick Kosmalski – firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles Symington – email@example.com
Laurie Walters – firstname.lastname@example.org
Roger Reeves – email@example.com
Sara Wolff – firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Thompson –
Jim Nussle – email@example.com
Tony Gostkowski –
Tim Wilbricht – firstname.lastname@example.org
Annette Halprin – email@example.com