This post is about best Down syndrome book resources – from memoirs to resource books. It’s intended for parents and professionals working with people with Down syndrome. The ones that I most highly recommend I have put an * before. Remember: your local library should offer most of these books, and if they don’t, you can request it for free. Please add your own recommendations in the comments so we can all benefit from your suggestion!
Disclosure: There are some affiliate links below, but these are all products I highly recommend. I won’t put anything on this page that I haven’t verified and/or personally read. Please read my disclosure page for more info.
Down syndrome book resources: some parents feel like they can never get enough.
That makes sense, given the fact that Down syndrome is still not fully understood, and that for most of us parents, our child with Down syndrome is our entry into the world of Down syndrome, developmental and intellectual disability.
Our child is our guide, and wanting to understand more, we seek out all of the books we can get our hands on.
In This Post You Will Find:
- Best Down Syndrome Book Resources as Follows
- Down Syndrome Related Books on Practical Skills and Training
- Down Syndrome and Sexuality
- Down syndrome and Education
- Collections of Stories about Down syndrome and Parenting
- Memoirs and Personal Stories About Down Syndrome
- Fiction Related to Down Syndrome
- Children’s Books About Down Syndrome: Explaining Down Syndrome to Children
- More from my site
Best Down Syndrome Book Resources as Follows
Down Syndrome Related Books on Practical Skills and Training
* http://downsyndromepregnancy.org/the-pregnancy-book/ – free downloadable book + ripping site with resources
Down Syndrome and Sexuality
Down syndrome and Education
Collections of Stories about Down syndrome and Parenting
* The Parent’s Guide to Down syndrome: Advice, Information, Inspiration, and Support for Raising Your Child from Diagnosis through Adulthood
Reasons to Smile: Celebrating People Living with Down Syndrome
* Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives – 10th Anniversary Edition (updated, with more stories) – this is a MUST-read
Memoirs and Personal Stories About Down Syndrome
* Up Syndrome (a memoir by a woman with Down syndrome)
Fiction Related to Down SyndromeThe Unfinished Child
Children’s Books About Down Syndrome: Explaining Down Syndrome to Children
I hope this collection of the best books about Down syndrome has been useful. Please remember to not let cost deter you from reading what is useful: ask your local library to stock up on these titles if they don’t carry them, make sure your local Down syndrome association or group carries them. Recommend them to your child’s school (their IEP might pay for some).
For more information and to connect with other parents, don’t forget to read my super-comprehensive Down Syndrome Resources Guide my list of Facebook Groups Related to Down Syndrome and of course my long list of free stuff for kids with disabilities.