Getting to Know You
- Your name: Lorna Duff-Howie
- What’s your connection with disability? I have CP.
- Star Trek or Star Wars? Spaceballs.
- If you could live in any other country for 2 years, where would you go?
I’m an American living in Scotland, so there’s that. As for anywhere else, anywhere my family is.
- What dish would your bring to our community picnic potluck?
Napkins. And beer.
Now That We’ve Been Introduced…
- What do you do: Right now, I’m a SAHM. Writing, blogging and procrastinating at my kitchen table.
- How did you come to doing what you do? How has your career trajectory flowed?
I’ve always worked in disability advocacy in some way. I’ve worked in Equalities, been a Project Manager (with real projects), written newsletters, and caught other people’s embarrassing typos.
These days, I blog. And laugh with my kid.
- Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years?
Writing, and getting paid for it again. With two kids to laugh with.
- Not to be morbid, but what do you want people to remember about you when you’ve gone?
That I was a good mother and a decent human being, and I wrote some good words.
- Who or what inspires you?
Coffee. Good books. Travel. Creative swearing. Humor. My kid’s laugh. My husband’s eyebrows.
These are trying times. What do you think the disability community should be focusing on now?I have actually been thinking of this.I’d like to get rid of the idea that people with visible disabilities are somehow more disabled than people with invisible disabilities. We are all marginaliized by a society that’s inaccessible in too many ways, and we should work together.
- If you could say something to yourself in the past – that is, the you that was really struggling with something related to disability – what would you say? It’s all good. Even when it sucks, it’s still all good.
- What do you like about your particular disability?
I think my wheelchair is a pretty badass vehicle.
- Any one thing that you wish people would *get* about disability?
That not everyone wants to overcome them. I prefer to work with mine.
- What single piece of technology makes your life easier?
Does Netflix count? Let’s say Netflix counts.
Where else can we find you online?
Blog: Gin & Lemonade: https://ginlemonade.com